Firstly, do you need to clean your jewellery?
Whether you are a regular wearer or not jewellery requires routine care. Over time the gems may get damaged, get scratches, lose their shine, or have gunk stuck in the crevices of your intricate pieces, you get the drift?
Therefore, we highly recommend you do. Once every 15 days is good to go and we’ve got the best tips to keep them in sterling condition.
Do’s of Gemstone Care
- Do use mild soap and warm water to clean your jewellery.
- Do clean your gems with a soft lint-free cloth or use chamois.
- Do soak your gems in water for a few minutes to remove residue. (Avoid this with oiled gems like Emeralds)
- Do brush gems with a soft toothbrush.
- Do blow on gems to clear anything stuck on the gems.
- Do keep gemstones in woodchips to avoid liquid stains or water spots on the gems
Don’ts of Gemstone Care
- Do not use harsh chemicals, heavy detergents, industrial cleaners, or solvents to clean the gems.
- Do not use a hairdryer or leave them in sunlight to dry.
- Do not scrub them with a rough cloth, steel wool, or a hard toothbrush.
- Do not put any lotions, creams, perfumes, colognes, hairspray, alcohols, or any kind of acid after wearing the jewellery.
Common Ways to Care for Your Gemstone Jewellery
Wearing jewellery is not rocket science but sometimes common sense eludes us when we think about looking after our gemstones.
Most of us make mistakes while taking care of our jewellery simply because we do not remember or precaution towards the gems is not on our mind. Check out these common things to keep in mind the next time your wear your favourite jewels.
Keep your gems separate: Mixing your gems with other jewellery may cause the clasp/chain/or metal fixings to scratch and damage the gems. Keep them in separate pouches or a jewellery box.
Avoid hands-on activities: Sports, gardening, washing utensils, cooking, and such activities should be avoided. You stand to risk damaging or losing your gems.
Prevent extremes of temperatures: Keep gems away from elements of frigid cold such as snow and high heat like furnaces and fireplaces. Also, avoid switching between these very quickly.
Remove gems before going into water: Remember to remove your jewellery before swimming or going to take a bath.
MyRatna offers various services such as professional gemstone cleaning, free gemstone consultation, authentic lab-certified gems, and delivering activated gemstones according to Vedic Astrology.
Word of caution: The techniques suggested above apply to most gemstones but it can vary from gem to gem as each stone is unique in composition and requires a certain kind of care.